Health Education Standards and Resources
Students in grade six develop more sophistication in understanding health issues and practicing health skills. They apply physical, emotional, social, and environmental health skills and strategies to improve or maintain personal and family health. Students begin to understand adolescent health issues and concerns and the relationship between choices and consequences. They understand how to be a positive role model and the impact of positive and negative peer pressure. Students demonstrate injury-prevention behaviors at school and elsewhere.
Health Education Resources for all of Grade Six
- Grade Six Health Education Standards of Learning
- Grade Six Crosswalk: Health Smart Lesson Search by Virginia SOL
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Drug Use Prevention
Unit 1 - Grade 6 - ATOD Use Prevention with a Focus on Prescription Drugs
- Unit 1 - Grade 6 - ATOD Use Prevention with a Focus on Prescription Drugs
- 1-NEA RX for Understanding - Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention Program
- 2-FDA Medicines In My Home - Classroom Student Presentation
- 3-FDA Medicines In My Home - Classroom Presentation Notes
- 4-FDA Medicines In My Home - Drug Facts and Label Lesson
- 5-FDA Medicines In My Home - The Over-the-Counter Drug Facts Label.mp4
- 6-FDA Medicines In My Home - Pretest
- 7-FDA Medicines In My Home - Post test
- 8-FDA Medicines In My Home - Class Worksheet Final
- 9-FDA Medicines In My Home - Pre-and-Post-Tests Answer Key
- 10-Virginia ABC MS Guide
- 11-Too Smart To Start - Reach Out Poster Teaching Guide
- 12-Too Smart To Start - Reach Out Poster
- 13-Too Smart To Start - Reach Out Now Bonus Worksheets
- 14-Too Smart To Start - Reach Out Now Family Pages
- 15-PE Central - The Pressure Is On!
- 16-Ask Listen Learn Program - Alcohol and Your Brain Lesson
- 17-Ask Listen Learn Program - The Impact of Peer Pressure
- 18-Ask Listen Learn Program - Conversations About Alcohol at Different Ages
- 19-Ask Listen Learn Program - The Importance of a Healthy Body Lesson
Drugs: Not Fit for Human Bodies Grades 4-6
- List common prescription and nonprescription medications.
- Present students with several case studies and ask students to determine if and how the individuals could use medication correctly.
- Role-play refusal strategies and assertive behavior.
- Write a success story about someone who steers clear of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.
- Name three drugs and explain the harmful effect these drugs have on body functions.
- Discuss the relationship between substance abuse and disease.
- Identify common prescription and over the counter medications; research and present on side effects and results of improper use.
- Brainstorm reasons why individuals take risks.
- Journal about times students have experienced peer pressure.
- Interview parents, grandparents, or other adults and report on activities that they considered risky when they were teens.
- Survey pop culture (TV shows, movies, books, etc.), media, and marketing references or advertisements to prescription and nonprescription medication; share with students and ask them to explain what they learn from them; how they make them feel; and evaluate if they communicate correct information about the medications.
- Ask students to list tips for media and marketing of drugs and alcohol.
- Have students create a media or marketing product (poster, radio ad, TV commercial, newspaper, etc.)to promote the correct use of medications.
- Alcohol - What’s the Truth https://www.etr.org/healthsmart/assets/File/sample-lessons/MS-TobaccoAlcoholAndOtherDrugPreventionLesson.pdf
Biological Sciences Curriculum Study (BSCS) - Drug Abuse, Addiction, and the Adolescent Brain https://bscs.org/drugabuse
Discovery Education - Deadly Highs – Grades 6-8http://www.discoveryeducation.com/teachers/free-lesson-plans/deadly-highs.cfm
Alcohol - What’s the Truth https://www.etr.org/healthsmart/assets/File/sample-lessons/MS-TobaccoAlcoholAndOtherDrugPreventionLesson.pdf
Experimentation and Addiction - What’s the Truth https://www.etr.org/healthsmart/about-healthsmart/sample-lessons/middle-school/tobacco-alcohol-other-drug-prevention/lesson-6-experimentation-addiction-whats-the-truth/
- FDA Anti-Juuling Video for Teens https://youtu.be/zYuyS1Oq8gY
- FDA Medicines in My Home https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/UnderstandingOver-the-CounterMedicines/ucm093548.htm
Georgia Prevention Project – Opioid, Rx, and Substance Abuse Resources for Educators http://www.georgiapreventionproject.org/resources/educators.php
Girls Health Website https://www.girlshealth.gov/substance/
- Handling stress / Dealing with pressures - Teaching guide for 5-9 peer pressure; activities and great discussion questions http://www.goodcharacter.com/BCBC/Pressures.html
Harding University Alcohol, Family, Community Lesson Plan alcohol-family-community
Heads Up – Methamphetamine
How your brain responds to the reward circuit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s27f7Jzy2k0
Internet4Kids Drug Lesson Plans K-12 https://www.internet4classrooms.com/links_grades_kindergarten_12/drug_abuse_guidance_counselor_lesson_plans.htm
- Inhalant Prevention Education: Utah Poison Control Center 2008 - Toxic Chemicals http://poisoncontrol.utah.edu/publiced/pdfs/InhalantLesson_6thgr.pdf
- Inhalant Prevention Education: Utah Poison Control Center 2008 - Toxic Chemicals and Poison Prevention (Grade 6-above) http://poisoncontrol.utah.edu/publiced/pdfs/InhalantComboLesson.pdf
- Keeping it Real –Middle, High School DARE Curriculum https://dare.org/education/
KidsHealth.org – Teachers Guide: Dealing with Peer Pressure -Grades 6-8 https://classroom.kidshealth.org/classroom/6to8/personal/growing/peer_pressure.pdf
- KidsHealth.Org Teachers Guides - Alcohol, Smoking, Drugs www.KidsHealth.org/classroom
LA Health - E-cig & vaping Informational video (Loudoun schools)https://www.lcps.org/cms/lib/VA01000195/Centricity/Domain/96/Ecig_Vaping_Cut.1.mp4
Little Lungs in a Great Big World https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmKply2PfmI
- Marijuana and Teens – American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry https://www.aacap.org/aacap/families_and_youth/facts_for_families/fff-guide/Marijuana-and-Teens-106.aspx
- MethProject.org - Meth Prevention Lessonhttp://www.methproject.org/action/meth-prevention.html
- National Council on Patient Information and Education Coalition http://talkaboutrx.org/educational_resources.jsp
- National Education Association’s Rx for Understanding: Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention Program- Grades 5-8 Lesson Plans http://neahealthyfutures.org/wpcproduct/rx-for-understanding-be-smart-about-prescription-drugs-grades-5-8/
- NIDA Easy-to-Read/ESL Drug Facts and videos https://easyread.drugabuse.gov/
NIH – Meth Mouse Gamehttps://teens.drugabuse.gov/teachers/lessonplans/meth-mouse
NIH Video on synthetic cannabinoids - bath salts https://youtu.be/cRA54zeGAnM
Online game/ad FDA https://whatsinavape.com
PBS Learning Media – Tragedy and Hope/Real Stories of Pain Killer Addiction -Grades 6-12 https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/collection/tragedy-hope-stories-of-painkiller-addiction/
- Myth or Fact Lesson – Grades 6-12 https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/1cf7d4e9-b0da-4295-8326-328ba778991d/myth-or-fact-lesson-plan/
- Learning About Opioids – Grades 6-12 https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/7f567e4a-0572-4c69-a25c-8d7e4b77b69d/learning-about-opioids/
- Science of Addiction – Grades 6-12https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/37d8822e-9fd9-46a1-ad8d-6cf1f76a7fa7/
- Accessibility – Grades 6-12
- Signs and Symptoms – Grades 6-12 https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/7f567e4a-0572-4c69-a25c-8d7e4b77b69d/
- The Cycle of Addiction- Grades 6-12https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/2fc454fd-d52f-4e07-9ecc-4297ddbfcf86/
- Contemplating Nature vs Nurture Grades 6-12 https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/37d8822e-9fd9-46a1-ad8d-6cf1f76a7fa7/
- Full Educators Guide https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/512d7376-bf0a-4e1d-9a98-98f706a9e11e/full-educators-guide/
- Community and Family Guide https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/b1e0862a-131f-4df2-ae55-4b343a65d366/community-and-family-guide/
PBS – Teachers Guide: The Meth Epidemichttps://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/teach/meth/PBS video on juuling epidemic https://youtu.be/lNs19kGAnLU
- PE Central - The Pressure Is On! http://www.pecentral.org/lessonideas/ViewLesson.asp?ID=4134#.WEJDSmVNFho
- Reality Matters: Under the Influence - Lesson plan teaching about addiction and the effects on the brain and body http://school.discoveryeducation.com/lessonplans/programs/underTheInfluence/
- Risky Business - Lesson Plan: Risky choices, stats about risky choice, consequences of risky choices http://school.discoveryeducation.com/lessonplans/programs/riskyBusiness/
Heads Up Series http://headsup.scholastic.com
Heads Up- Real News About Drugs and Your Body – 14 Activities http://www.scholastic.com/headsup/pdfs/NIDA2-Activity%20Book.pdf
Get Smart About Tobacco Lesson Plan (grades 6-7) http://www.scholastic.com/get_smart_about_tobacco/#grades6-7
OTC Medication Safety Program: Start a Critical Conversation (teacher tools for grades 5-8)
- Comparing Over the Counter Medication (grades 5-6) https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/sponsored-content/otc-medicine-safety/comparing-over-the-counter-and-prescription-medicine/
- Reading and Understanding the Drug Facts Label (grades 5-6) https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/sponsored-content/otc-medicine-safety/reading-and-understanding-the-drug-facts-label/
- Understanding Medication Measuring Tools, Storage and Safe Disposal (grades 5-6) https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/sponsored-content/otc-medicine-safety/understanding-medicine-measuring-tools-storage-and-safe-disposal/
- Exploring the Harms of Medication Misuse (grades 5-6) https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/sponsored-content/otc-medicine-safety/exploring-the-harms-of-medicine-misuse/
- Reading about Medication Safety – A Review (grades 5-6) https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/sponsored-content/otc-medicine-safety/reading-about-medicine-safety-a-review-of-informational-text-fea/
- Distinguishing Between Over the Counter and Prescription Medicine (grades 7-8) https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/sponsored-content/otc-medicine-safety/distinguishing-between-over-the-counter-and-prescription-medicin/
- Obtaining Information From a Drug Facts Label (grades 7-8) https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/sponsored-content/otc-medicine-safety/obtaining-information-from-a-drug-facts-label/
- The Importance of Medicine Measuring, Tools, Storage and Safe Disposal https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/sponsored-content/otc-medicine-safety/the-importance-of-medicine-measuring-tools-storage-and-safe-disp/
- Understanding the Dangers of Misuse (grades 6-8) https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/sponsored-content/otc-medicine-safety/understanding-the-dangers-of-medicine-misuse/
- Medicine Safety Text Analysis (grades 6-8) https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/sponsored-content/otc-medicine-safety/medicine-safety-text-analysis--identifying-the-authors-purpose/
- SODAT NJ – Drug Prevention Lesson Plans http://www.sodat.org/drug-prevention-lesson-plans-for-the-classroom.html
Stanford Tobacco Prevention Toolkit – lessons on Tobacco, E-cigarettes, Vaping, Hookah, Addiction, Refusal Skills (grades 5-12) http://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/resource-directory.html
- Unit 1- General Tobacco – Health Effects and Social Effects https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/TobaccoUnit1/TobUnit1.html
- Unit 2 - What’s Menthol Got to Do With It? https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/TobaccoUnit1/TobUnit2.html
E-Cigs/Vapes & Pod-Based
- Unit 1 – Where did E Cigarettes and Vape Pens Come From? https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/E-Cigs/ECigUnit1.html
- Unit 2 – So What’s Really in These E-Cigarettes and Vape Pens? https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/E-Cigs/ECigUnit2.html
- Unit 3 – What’s So Bad About E-Cigarettes and Vape Pens? https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/E-Cigs/ECigUnit3.html
- Unit 4 – Why Do E-Cigarettes and Vape Pens Matter to Young People? https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/E-Cigs/ECigUnit4.html
- Unit 5-What Can I Do About It? https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/E-Cigs/ECigUnit5.html
- Unit 6- What are JUULS & Other Pod-Based Systems? https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/E-Cigs/ECigUnit6.html
- Lesson - Understanding Hookah and Its Risks https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/Hookah.html
- Lesson – Understanding Smokeless Tobacco and its Risks https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/Smokeless.html
- Unit 1 – The Brain https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/nicotine-addiction/NicotineAddictionUnit1.html
- Unit 2- Addiction 101 https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/nicotine-addiction/NicotineAddictionUnit2.html
- Unit 3 – Nicotine Addiction https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/nicotine-addiction/NicotineAddictionUnit3.html
Positive Youth Development
- Refusal Skills Activities https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/positive-youth-development/refusal-skills.html
- Everything Tobacco
- The real cost: anti-vaping commercial (Hacked) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzU4ihBbf3g
- Teen vaping https://www.pbs.org/video/teen-vaping-1531870790/
- Tobacco Lesson Plan for Grades 3-7 http://www.pbs.org/parents/itsmylife/lesson_plans/smoking_scavenger_hunt.html
Treating Marijuana Addiction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md4lRQsLlnE
Why are Drugs so Hard to Quit? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbk35VFpUPI
Why is vaping so popularhttps://www.pbs.org/video/why-is-vaping-so-popular-hzpjx8/
US Drug Enforcement Administration – Just Think Twice About Drugs – Teachers Guide http://nahimgood.org/Docs/JustThinkTwice.pdf
- Check back for sample lesson resources.
- Using a worksheet, link the major structures to functions of the urinary system.
- Research and present 3 strategies to promote renal health (drink plenty water, eat healthy foods, etc.)
- Develop individualized plans to modify diet and exercise to improve renal health.
- Create a poster to promote strategies to promote renal health.
- Classify communicable diseases in terms of the body part they affect.
- Interview your family to see if there are any non-communicable diseases that run in the family.
- List the differences between communicable and non-communicable diseases.
- Every student researches a single communicable disease (agent, host, and environment) and then presents what they’ve learned about the disease and how to prevent its spread.
- As a class, come up with a list of 5 general methods for preventing the spread of communicable diseases.
- KidsHealth.Org How the Body Works: Urinary System http://kidshealth.org/en/kids/usmovie.html?WT.ac=en-k-htbw-main-page-i
- Kids Health How the Body Works YouTube Series https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRmb5AxU-JXgajvrrcozhkhMeSWa0XI0Z
Kids Health-human body series http://classroom.kidshealth.org/index.jsp?Grade=68&Section=body
- LiveStrong-Does Exercise Affect the Urinary System? http://www.livestrong.com/article/529262-does-exercise-affect-the-urinary-system/
- Simulation activity on disease spread http://www.kidzone.ws/plans/viewprint.asp?i=100
- Wisconsin Department on Communicable disease prevention K-12- Communicable Disease Prevention Lesson Plans for Middle Schoolers“ Inspector Bacterium”; “ The Germs Go Marching In”; “Archaeological Dig” (21-39) http://dpi.wi.gov/sites/default/files/imce/sspw/pdf/k_12communicable.pdf
- Write a short story about a young person who helps protect the environment
- Use the worksheet at http://www.ct.gov/dph/lib/dph/environmental_health/eoha/pdf/teachgde.pdf to determine how much students know about indoor air quality
- Students research air pollutants and their effects on body functions and write a short report.
- Present students with a narrative about a smoker and a nonsmoker participating in moderate and vigorous physical activity. Then, ask them to identify the differences and discuss the impact of tobacco.
- As a class, develop a list of the benefits of a tobacco-free environment.
- Split the class into groups and ask each group to decide on a goal to protect the environment. Once they’ve selected their goal, students should come up with a plan to achieve their goal and monitor their progress.
- Ask students to make a list of 5 ways they and/or their families can protect the environment.
- Ask students to design a poster to encourage others to reduce pollutants,
Ask students to define environmental influences (the physical, social, and cultural conditions) affecting the individual’s growth and development
- physical environmental influences (shelter, water, air, land, pollution, food , etc.)
- social–cultural environmental influences (family, peers, schoolmates, traditions, norms, expectations, etc.)
- KidsHealth.Org Ozone, Air Quality and Asthma http://kidshealth.org/en/parents/ozone-asthma.html
- KidsHealth.Org Smoking http://kidshealth.org/en/teens/smoking.html
- NIH Healthy Lungs Exercise and Air Quality – Top 10 Tips https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4666455/pdf/EDU-ELF1-2013.pdf
- Virginia Foundaiton for Healtny Youth http://www.vfhy.org
- Virginia 24/7 Campaign for Tobacco Free Schools http://247campaignva.com
Health Promotion Including Nutrition and Physical Activity
Unit 1 - Grade 6 - Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Unit 1 - Grade 6 - Nutrition and Physical Activity
- 101 Tips for Teaching Nutrition
- 5210 Lets Go - Middle High School Toolkit
- AHA - Brain Power
- AHA - Don't Fumble with This Jumble
- AHA - Obesity Trends
- AHA - What or Who Influences Your Food Choices
- AHA - A Look at the Obesity Epidemic
- AHA - Garden Growing While on the Move
- AHA - Lesson in Sportsmanship
- AHA Middle School Lesson Plans
- AHA NFL PLAY 60 Challenge
- AHA Stepping Across the States Lesson
- AHA We Jump We Shoot We Save Middle School Lesson Plan 2013-14
- AHA We Jump We Shoot We Save Middle School Teacher Guide 2012-13
- CDC BAM Tip Sheet - Energy
- CDC BAM Tip Sheet - Nutrition
- CDC BAM Tip Sheet - Physical Activity
- CDC BAM Tip Sheet - Stress
- FCS Fast Food Commercials Lesson
- Food Day School Curriculum 2014
- FoodSpan Lesson A- Food-System-Slides.pptx
- FoodSpan Lesson A-Food System-Handouts And Guides
- FoodSpan Lesson A-Food System-Slides
- FoodSpan Lesson A-Food System
- FoodSpan Lesson10-Labels - Handouts And Guides
- FoodSpan Lesson10-Labels - Slides
- FoodSpan Lesson10-Labels
- FoodSpan Lesson10-Labels-Slides.pptx
- FoodSpan Lesson12-Why We Eat - Lesson Plan.pdf
- FoodSpan Lesson12-Why We Eat - Slides.pdf
- FoodSpan Lesson12-Why We Eat - Slides.pptx
- FoodSpan Lesson12-Why We Eat-Handouts And Guides.pdf
- FoodSpan Lesson14-Hunger-Handouts.pdf
- FoodSpan Lesson14-Hunger-Slides.pdf
- FoodSpan Lesson14-Hunger-Slides.pptx
- FoodSpan Lesson14-Hunger.pdf
- Grocery Scavenger Hunt Guide
- Healthy Body Image Lesson Plan MS Students
- KidsHealth - NBA Fit Classroom Lesson
- KidsHealth Poster- 5-2-1-Almost None
- KidsHealth Tip Sheet Classroom Exercise Breaks for Elementary Students
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Breakfast Teacher's Guide
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Fitness Teacher's Guide
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Food Labels Teacher's Guide
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Food Safety Teacher's Guide
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Healthy Snacking Teacher's Guide
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 School Lunch Teacher's Guide
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Screen Time Teacher's Guide
- Lets Get Moving - Class Comparison of Physical Activity
- Lets Get Moving - Physical Activity Log Lesson
- Mission Nutrition - 1 - Exploring Healthy Eating
- Mission Nutrition - 2 - Food for Energy and Nutrients
- Mission Nutrition - 3 - Body Signals
- Mission Nutrition - 4- Using Food Labels
- Mission Nutrition - Physical Activity 1 - FItness Fun
- Mission Nutrition - Physical Activity 2 - Fitness Benefits
- Mission Nutrition - Physical Activity 3 - Fitness Challenges
- Mission Nutrition - Self Esteem 1 - Self Esteem Boosters
- Mission Nutrition - Self Esteem 2 - Gender Influences
- Nutrition to Grow Garden Curriculum Grades 5-6
- PE Central - Calculating Fat, Carbohydrates & Protein
- PE Central Food Pyramid Game
- Sample Physical Activity Log - Michigan State University
- Serving Up My Plate Curriculum - Grades 5-6
- Serving Up My Plate Curriculum Poster
- Serving Up My Plate Curriculum Poster 2
- Serving Up My Plate Parent Handout
- Serving Up My Plate Tipsheet - Be A Fit Kid
- Serving Up My Plate Tipsheet- Making Great Tasting Snacks
- USA Today - Obesity Article
Unit 2 - Grade 6 - Media Smarts
- Unit 2 - Grade 6 - Media Smarts
- CA Media Smarts - Looking at Food Advertising Lesson
- CA Media Smarts You've Gotta Have a Gimmick Lesson
- CDC Body Image Ad Lesson
- CDC Lesson - If Those Dolls Were Real People
- FoodSpan Lesson 11-Marketing-Handouts And Guides
- FoodSpan Lesson 11-Marketing-Slides
- FoodSpan Lesson 11-Marketing-Slides.pptx
- GirlsHealth Body Image and Media Grade 6
- Healthy Body Image Lesson Plan Middle School
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Media Literacy and Health Teacher's Guide
- Mission Nutrition - Self Esteem 1 - Self Esteem Boosters
- Mission Nutrition - Self Esteem 2 - Gender Influences
- Mission Nutrition - Self Esteem 3 - Media Awareness
- Read Write Think - Advertisement Analysis
- Thinking Critically About Advertising - New York Times Lesson Plan
- Unit 3 - Grade 6 - Evaluating Health Information
- Check back for sample lesson ideas.
- Have students create songs about healthy food choices https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/tn/doyourbodyright.mp3
- Ask students to set three new personal health habit goals for the month/ year. Once they select them, ask them to explain their choices.
- Create a healthy habit challenge: students set a goal and monitor their progress toward a physical activity, nutrition, or sleep goal.
- Create a “filling out the food pyramid” game. Split the class into two groups, ask them questions, and set it up such that correct answers give teams an opportunity to fill in the food pyramid.
- Students list 3 favorite foods and then research their contents before calculating the percentages of fat, protein, and carbs in the selected foods.
- Break the class into groups, present each group with several food items and their macronutrient compositions, and ask them to create balanced meals.
- Students write a weekly food and exercise journal and reflect on how they might change their habits to be more consistent with national recommendations or guidelines.
- Students design a balanced one-day food plan (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, beverages).
- Students write a reflection about how family, peers, and culture affect food and physical activity choices after teachers share relevant excerpts from a novel or television show to demonstrate this point.
- Students interview family about nutrition, physical activity, and sleep. Once they gather data, as a group/class. Students graph and/or calculate trends to compare to recommended values.
- Students analyze media ads for food/ junk food using questions like those found at http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/lesson-plans/grocery-store-scavenger-hunt-1140.html?tab=1
- Students create a fictitious health product and use several persuasive marketing techniques to sell the product.
Join the NFL Play 60 Challenge:
- 101 Tips for Teaching About Nutrition http://westerndairyassociation.org/download/101-tips-for-teaching-nutrition-in-pe/
- 5-2-1-0 Let's Go Middle and High School Toolkit https://mainehealth.org/lets-go/childrens-program/schools/middle-high-tools
- Action for Healthy Kids - Instant Recess, Brain Breaks, and Energizers http://www.actionforhealthykids.org/tools-for-schools/1252-brain-breaks-instant-recess-and-energizers
- Activity Break - Health Work Education http://www.healthworldeducation.org/industry-trends/item/183-activity-break-5-ways-add-burst-physical-activity-classroom
American Heart Association (AHA) Middle School Lesson Plans http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Educator/FortheClassroom/MiddleSchoolLessonPlans/Middle-School-Lesson-Plans_UCM_304280_Article.jsp?appName=MobileApp
- AHA - We Jump We Shoot We Save Teacher's Guide 2012-13 http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@fdr/documents/downloadable/ucm_467922.pdf
- AHA - We Jump We Shoot We Save Teacher's Guide 2013-14 http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@fdr/documents/downloadable/ucm_467933.pdf
- AHA - What or Who Influences Your Food Choices http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@global/documents/downloadable/ucm_314238.pdf
- AHA - Brain Power https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@fc/documents/downloadable/ucm_467221.pdf
- AHA - Garden Growing While on the Move http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@fc/documents/downloadable/ucm_467219.pdf
- AHA - Lesson In Sportsmanship -
- AHA - Don’t Fumble With This Jumble https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@fc/documents/downloadable/ucm_306494.pdf
- AHA - Stepping Across the States - http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@fc/documents/downloadable/ucm_306495.pdf
- AHA - Our Challenge: A Look At the Obesity Epidemic https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@fc/documents/downloadable/ucm_452021.pdf
- AHA - Obesity Trends https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@fc/documents/downloadable/ucm_452018.pdf
- AHA - NFL Play 60 Challenge http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Educator/FortheClassroom/NFLPlay60Challenge/PLAY-60-Challenge-Lesson-Plans_UCM_453013_Article.jsp#.V_K0AvArLic
- Assessing My Eating Habits https://www.etr.org/healthsmart/assets/File/sample-lessons/MS-NutritionAndPhysicalActivityLesson.pdf
- CA Adolescent Nutrition and Fitness Program - Junk Food Marketing http://canfit.org/pdf/SchoolLessonPlan.pdf
Canada Media Smarts
- Looking at food advertising lesson http://mediasmarts.ca/lessonplan/looking-food-advertising-lesson
- Junk food advertising http://mediasmarts.ca/sites/mediasmarts/files/pdfs/lesson-plan/Lesson_Youve_Gotta_Have_a_Gimmick.pdf
- You’ve Gotta Have a Gimmick http://mediasmarts.ca/lessonplan/youve-gotta-have-gimmick-lesson
- CDC BAM! Body and Mind http://www.cdc.gov/bam/nutrition/index.html
- CDC BAM Teacher’s Corner – Body Image Ad lesson
- CDC BAM Teacher’s Corner – If Those Dolls Were Real People
- Eat Fit - addresses media and body image http://fsnep.ucdavis.edu/curriculum/youth-materials/youth-materials/ef/eatfit
- Family Doctor.Org (American Association of Family Physicians) - Finding Reliable Health Information on the Web https://familydoctor.org/health-information-on-the-web-finding-reliable-information/?adfree=true
- Food Span - Marketing Lesson 11 - Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future http://foodspanlearning.org/
- FCS Fast Food Commercials & Nutrition Lesson http://www.familyconsumersciences.com/2012/10/fast-food-commercials-nutrition/
- Food Day Curriculum https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/foodday/pages/24/attachments/original/1407160267/Curriculum2014.pdf?1407160267
- Girlshealth.gov - Nutrition http://www.girlshealth.gov/nutrition/index.html
- Girlshealth.gov - Having Body Image Issues https://www.girlshealth.gov/feelings/bodyimage/index.html
- Grocery Store Scavenger Hunt http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/lesson-plans/grocery-store-scavenger-hunt-1140.html
- Iowa Children’s Hospital - Online Health Information What Can You Trust https://uichildrens.org/online-health-information-what-can-you-trust
- Kids Health Media Literacy and Health Teacher’s Guide https://classroom.kidshealth.org/classroom/6to8/personal/growing/media_literacy_health.pdf
- Kids Health Fast Breaks https://kidshealth.org/classroom/posters/nba_fit_classroom_color.pdf
Kids Health Teacher Guides - Grades 6-8
NBA Fit Classroom Lesson:
- NBA Fit Classroom Lesson:
- Let's Get Moving Unit - Michigan State University http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/letsnet/noframes/subjects/health/b8u4.html
- Medline Plus - Evaluating Health Information https://medlineplus.gov/evaluatinghealthinformation.html
- Medline Plus - Guide to Healthy Web Surfing https://medlineplus.gov/healthywebsurfing.html
- Mission Nutrition Canada http://www.missionnutrition.ca/eng/announcement.html
- Mission Nutrition - Canada - Self Esteem Lessons http://www.missionnutrition.ca/eng/educators/6to8.html
- NYTimes- Thinking Critically About Ads http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/25/on-the-market-thinking-critically-about-advertising/?_r=1
- PE Central - Food Pyramid Game http://www.pecentral.org/lessonideas/ViewLesson.asp?ID=2645
- PE Central - Calculating Fat, Carbohydrates & Proteins http://www.pecentral.org/lessonideas/ViewLesson.asp?ID=919
- Read, Write, Think - Advertisement Analysis http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/lesson_images/lesson97/advert.pdf
- Scholastic - Middle School Healthy Body Image Lesson Plan https://beta.scholastic.com/teachers/lesson-plans/teaching-content/body-image/
- Sample Physical Activity Log - Michigan State University http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/letsnet/frames/subjects/health/log.html
- Scholastic - Healthy Body Image Lesson Plan https://beta.scholastic.com/teachers/lesson-plans/teaching-content/body-image/
- USDA-Serving Up My Plate. A Yummy Curriculum for grades 5 and 6 http://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/serving-myplate-yummy-curriculum http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/sump_level3.pdf
UC Davis Youth Nutrition Education Materials http://fsnep.ucdavis.edu/curriculum/youth-materials
- Nutrition to Grow On Curriculum http://cns.ucdavis.edu/resources/ntgo/index.html
- Eat Fit http://fsnep.ucdavis.edu/curriculum/youth-materials/youth-materials/ef/eatfit
Safety and Injury Prevention
Unit 1 - Grade 6 - Injury Prevention
- Unit 1 - Grade 6 - Injury Prevention
- 1-CDC Safety Tipsheets.pdf
- 2-KidsHealth-Being Safe in the Kitchen
- 3-KidsHealth-Bike Safety
- 5-KidsHealth-Do You Know How to Be Street Smart?
- 6-KidsHealth-Five Ways to Avoid Sports Injuries
- 7-KidsHealth-Gun Safety
- 8-KidsHealth-How to Be Safe When You're in the Sun
- 9-KidsHealth-Playing With Fire?
- 10-KidsHealth-Safe Cyberspace Surfing
- 11-KidsHealth-Staying Safe in the Car and on the Bus
- 13-KidsHealth-What to Do in a Fire
- 14-KidsHealth-When It's Just You in an Emergency
- Unit 2 - Grade 6 - Sun Safety
- Unit 3 - Grade 6 - First Aid
- Unit 4 - Grade 6 - First Aid Kit
- Unit 5 - Grade 6 - Poetry in Motion
- Present students with descriptions of student behaviors or images of scenes and have them identify any safety missteps.
- Brainstorm a list of vehicle safety precautions.
- List safety precautions to observe while at the park, playground, or on public roadways
- Reflect on a situation in your life when first aid skills (yours or others) were required.
- List activities that require protective gear.
- Brainstorm risky activities that might lead to injury and discuss how to avoid them
- Make a home escape plan that identifies two ways to exit each room.
- Develop a classroom escape plan.
- Students create safety checklists/ inventories for homes (fire detectors, carbon monoxide, sprinklers, fire extinguisher, etc.).
- Students create first aid booklets with illustrated recommendations.
- Students check the schoolyard or community playground for safety hazards.
- Students write a persuasive essay about sunburn and sun protection.
- Students make a poster about how to treat sunburn.
- As a class, come up with safety rules for fire, playground, driving, sunburn, biking, etc.
- Students work in groups to develop fact sheets about their assigned safety issue. Then, they create role-plays to illustrate how to use the safety facts and the decision-making steps to make safe decisions about ways to avoid accidents, preventive measures and what to do in an emergency.
- Research the leading causes of unintentional injury deaths for individuals.
- Students plan learning centers about an assigned safety topic using props and posters. Students rotate through each center where they learn about a particular safety issue (e.g., vehicle safety, protective gear).
- Students identify emergency situations, state the appropriate response steps, and demonstrate how to perform.
- Students interview five adults regarding seatbelt usage and record their reasons for using or not using a safety belt.
- CDC Street Smartz https://www.cdc.gov/bam/safety/street.html
- Emergency CPR Activities from the American Heart Association http://bethebeat.heart.org/
- FEMA Youth Emergency Preparedness https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/bb917e271da92ac61b0e717074f5281e/FEMA_MS_TG_082613_508.pdf
- KidsHealth.org Safety Tip Sheets http://kidshealth.org/en/kids/watch/
- Injury in the News http://www.etr.org/healthsmart/about-healthsmart/sample-lessons/grade-6-injury-in-the-news-lesson-6/
- PE Central- Fire Safety Skills Tag http://www.pecentral.org/lessonideas/ViewLesson.asp?ID=6852
- PE Central First Aid Booklet http://www.pecentral.org/lessonideas/ViewLesson.asp?ID=1328
- Playground Safety Check http://www.education-world.com/a_lesson/01-1/lp233_03.shtml
- Safe Routes to School http://www.walkbiketoschool.org
- US Fire Administration Info https://www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/outreach/children.html
Social Emotional Health
Unit 1 - Grade 6 - Social Emotional Skills Lessons Overview
- Unit 1 - Grade 6 - Social Emotional Skills Lessons Overview
- 16 Mindful Teacher Activities.pdf
- Adolescent Mental Health Curriculum Starter Kit For Schools.pdf
- CA Media Smarts Body Image Lesson - Avatars.pdf
- CA Media Smarts Gender Stereotypes Body Image Lesson .pdf
- CA Mission Nutrition - Gender Influences Gr 6-8 .pdf
- CA Mission Nutrition - Media Awareness Gr 6-8.pdf
- CA Mission Nutrition - Self Esteem Gr 6-8.pdf
- Creating Safe Spaces - Social Emotional Lessons.pdf
- Cross the Line - Similarities Differences Activity.pdf
- Discovery Lesson Gr 6-8 Building Self Esteem.pdf
- Healthy Communication Teachers Guide-CDC.pdf
- Healthy Relationships Talking Points-CDC.pdf
- In the Mix - Violence and SE Lesson Plans And Discussion Guides.pdf
- It's My Life Dealing with Anger Journal - PBS Kids GO!.pdf
- It's My Life Depression Journal - PBS Kids GO!.pdf
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Conflict Resolution Teachers Guide.pdf
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Depression Teachers Guide.pdf
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Empathy Teachers Guide.pdf
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Getting Along Teachers Guide.pdf
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Healthy Relationships Teachers GUide.pdf
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Peer Pressure Teachers Guide.pdf
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Self Esteem Teachers Guide.pdf
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Stress Teachers Guide.pdf
- KidsHealth Gr 6-8 Suicide Teachers Guide.pdf
- Mental Health and High School Curriculum Guide - CMHA.pdf
- Mental Health HS Curriculum Guide - TeenMentalHealthorg.pdf
- NIDA CDC What Does Respect Mean Teacher's Guide .pdf
- NIDA Scholastic Decision Making Student Magazine.pdf
- Open Up - Empathy Lesson - How are You Feeling.pdf
- Open Up - It's All In Your Viewpoint Lesson.pdf
- PE Central - Mental Health Scenarios.pdf
- PE Central - Emotions in Motion.pdf
- PE Central - Sound of Music (Stress Management).pdf
- PE Central - What Is Stress?.pdf
- Purdue Healthy Body Image Middle School Lessons.pdf
- Scholastic - Teens and Decision Making - Teacher's Edition.pdf
- Scholastic - Decision Making Teachers Guide.pdf
- Scholastic Grade 6-8 Social Emotional Lessons.pdf
- SDCDA Girls Only Toolkit .pdf
- Walk In Our Shoes Mental Health Lesson Plans.pdf
- When Grief Enters the Classroom Teachers Guide.pdf
- Unit 2 - Grade 6 - Compliment a Character
- Unit 3 - Grade 6 - Wrinkled Heart
- Unit 4 - Grade 6 - Mental and Emotional Health
- Discuss the differences between constructive and unconstructive criticism, and have students role-play responses to positive and negative criticism.
- List put-downs and explain why they are inappropriate and make other people angry.
- Discuss and practice the factors that contribute to group success.
- Role-play situations where students are teased and laughed at and how to be a helpful bystander.
- Implement activities that encourage kindness and allow students to roleplay communication skills..
- Communication undergirds social emotional development. Implement the class activity,
- Have students work together to create a class social media or Instagram account with pictures and captions that reflect their positive traits.
- Discuss stress management strategies and have students exercise a strategy of their choosing for a 2 - 5 minute time period in the class (i.e., physical or creative expression, talking, breathing).
- Help students practice mindfulness
- An Adolescent Mental Health Curriculum - A Starter Kit for Schools http://www.sprc.org/resources-programs/adolescent-mental-health-wellness-curriculum-starter-kit-schools
- Canadian Mental Health Association - Mental Health and High School Curriculum Guide http://www.cibhs.org/sites/main/files/file-attachments/mental_health_and_high_school_curriculum_guide.pdf
- CA Media Smarts - Avatars and Body Image http://mediasmarts.ca/teacher-resources/avatars-body-image
- CA Media Smarts - Gender Body Image http://mediasmarts.ca/lessonplan/gender-stereotypes-and-body-image-lesson
- CDC Healthy Relationships Talking Points http://headsup.scholastic.com/sites/default/files/Relationship-Talking-Points-CDC.pdf
- CDC Healthy Communication Skills Teachers Guide http://headsup.scholastic.com/sites/default/files/Healthy-Communication-Guide-CDC.pdf
- Dealing with Troublesome Feelings https://www.etr.org/healthsmart/assets/File/sample-lessons/MS-EmotionalAndMentalHealthLesson.pdf
- Discovery - Self Esteem http://www.discoveryeducation.com/teachers/free-lesson-plans/depression.cfm
KidsHealth.org Teacher’s Guides for Grades 6-8:
- Conflict Resolution https://classroom.kidshealth.org/6to8/personal/growing/conflict_resolution.pdf
- Depression https://classroom.kidshealth.org/classroom/6to8/problems/emotions/depression.pdf
- Empathy https://classroom.kidshealth.org/6to8/personal/growing/empathy.pdf
- Eating Disorders https://classroom.kidshealth.org/6to8/problems/conditions/eating_disorders.pdf
- Getting Along http://classroom.kidshealth.org/6to8/personal/growing/getting_along.pdf
- Healthy Relationships http://classroom.kidshealth.org/6to8/personal/growing/healthy_relationships.pdf
- Peer Pressure http://classroom.kidshealth.org/6to8/personal/growing/peer_pressure.pdf
- Self Esteem http://classroom.kidshealth.org/6to8/personal/growing/self_esteem.pdf
- Stress https://classroom.kidshealth.org/6to8/problems/emotions/stress.pdf
- Suicide Prevention http://classroom.kidshealth.org/6to8/problems/emotions/suicide.pdf
- Mental Health First Aid https://www.thenationalcouncil.org
- Mental Health and High School Curriculum Guide, Canadian Mental Health Association https://www.cmha.ca/highschool/english.htm
- Mental Health HS Curriculum Guide - Teen Mental Health.org http://teenmentalhealth.org/schoolmhl/school-mental-health-literacy/mental-health-high-school-curriculum-guide/download-the-guide/
- Mindful Schools - Lesson - Introduction to Mindful Bodies and Listening http://www.mindfulschools.org/resources/explore-mindful-resources/
- Mindful Schools http://www.mindfulschools.org/resources/explore-mindful-resources
- Mindful Teachers Site - NIDA CDC What Does Respect Mean To You https://teens.drugabuse.gov/blog/post/love-and-drugs-and-violence
- Scholastic - Teens and Decision Making - Teachers Edition and Student Magazine http://headsup.scholastic.com/teachers/teens-and-decision-making-lesson
- Open Up Magazine, Minnesota Association for Children’s Mental Health - It’s All in Your Viewpoint http://www.macmh.org/open-up-magazine/classroom-activities/
- PBS - Overview of Mindfulness http://www.pbs.org/thebuddha/teachers-guide/
- PBS - It's My Life http://pbskids.org/itsmylife/index.html
- PBS - In the Mix, Violence and SE Lesson Plans and Discussion Guides http://www.pbs.org/inthemix/educators/lessons/
PE Central lessons
- Emotions in Motion http://www.pecentral.org/lessonideas/ViewLesson.asp?ID=9514#.WR3WWmVNFho
- Sounds of Music (Stress Management) http://www.pecentral.org/lessonideas/ViewLesson.asp?ID=883#.WR8CIWVNFho
- What is Stress http://www.pecentral.org/lessonideas/ViewLesson.asp?ID=9659
- ProCon.org - Social Networking http://socialnetworking.procon.org/
- Purdue Healthy Body Image Middle School Lessons https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/cfs/cfs-736-w.pdf
- Reach Out - Asking students if they are okay https://schools.au.reachout.com/articles/get-your-school-involved-in-r-u-ok-day
- Rossier USC - Creating Safe Spaces - Social Emotional Lessons https://rossieronline.usc.edu/blog/bullying-prevention-lesson-plans/
- Samaritans Developing Emotional Awareness and Listening (DEAL) Teaching Resources https://www.samaritans.org/your-community/samaritans-education/deal-developing-emotional-awareness-and-listening
- SCDA Girls Only Toolkit http://www.sdcda.org/office/girlsonlytoolkit/
- Scholastic 6-8 Social Emotional Lessons https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/articles/teaching-content/grades-6-8-social-emotional-skills/
- Scholastic Mind Up Curriculum - brain centered teaching strategies http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/mindup/
- Scholastic - Social and Emotional Learning: Essential Lessons for Student Success https://shop.scholastic.com/teachers-ecommerce/books/social-and-emotional-learning-essential-lessons-for-student-success-9780545465298.html
- Screening for Mental Health - depression, suicide, and self-injury https://mentalhealthscreening.org/programs/sos-signs-of-suicide
- Signs of Suicide and ACT https://dpi.wi.gov/sspw/mental-health/youth-suicide-prevention/student-programs/curriculum
- Social Networking http://socialnetworking.procon.org/
- Striking Out Stress: A “Gallery Walk” Activity http://www.educationworld.com/a_tsl/archives/02-1/lesson045.shtml
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration www.SAMHSA.gov
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center www.sprc.org
- Virginia Department of Behavioral Health Services http://www.dbhds.virginia.gov/
- “Walk in Our Shoes” Lesson Plan http://walkinourshoes.org/content/Classroom_Lesson_Plans.pdf
- Wall Street Journal - Overview of Mindfulness https://www.wsj.com/articles/can-mindfulness-help-students-do-better-in-school-1424145647
- We Are Teachers: Resources for Social and Emotional Learning http://www.weareteachers.com/lessons-resources/social-emotional-learning-classroom-resources
- Welcoming Schools Guide - Bias, Bullying, Bystanders http://www.hrc.org/welcoming-schools/documents/Welcoming-Schools-Bias_Bullying_Tips_for_Elementary_Educators.pdf
- When Grief Enters the Classroom http://www.rcsdk12.org/cms/lib04/NY01001156/Centricity/Domain/12/District%20Links%20documents/grief_guide.pdf
Violence Prevention and Healthy Relationships
Unit 1 - Grade 6 - Violence Prevention Education Resources
- Unit 1 - Grade 6 - Violence Prevention Education Resources
- Advocates for Youth-Ways of Handling Anger
- Building Community and Combating Hate Lesson Plans
- Coaching Boys Into Men Violence Prevention International Playbook
- Coaching Boys into Men Violence Prevention Playbook
- Discovery Online - Resolving Conflicts
- Fairfax Schools - 10 Conflict Resolution Lessons
- Healthy Communication Guide-CDC
- Healthy Relationship Talking Points-CDC
- Hernando County Anger Management Lesson
- National Crime Prevention Youth Gang Fact Sheet
- NIDA-CDC Respect Others Respect Yourself Healthy Communication Teaching Guide
- Ophelia Project - It Has a Name - Relational Aggression - Middle School Lessons
- Pacer Student Action Plan Against Bullying
- SDCDA Girls Only Toolkit
- Stop Bullying Now Youth Engagement Toolkit
- Teaching Health and Happiness - Communication
- Teaching Tolerance Cliques in Schools Discussion
- Teaching Tolerance Friendship and Cliques survey
- Welcoming Schools 6th Grade Bullying Lesson
- Hold a class discussion about violence: Do you think violence is ever necessary? When do you think violence is necessary? Have you experienced or seen violence? Have you challenged or seen a challenge to violence
- Role-play a non-violent solution to a disagreement.
- Hand out and have students review and complete the PACER action plan against bullying http://www.pacerkidsagainstbullying.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/StudentActionPlan.pdf.
- Have students illustrate posters or act out and/or videotape short skits depicting how to report bullying, stand up to bullying, and help friends who are being bullied.
- Hold a class discussion about the negative effects of bullying behavior.
- Ask students to write lists of 5 -10 characteristics of people in healthy relationships (e.g., they accept each other's differences, respect each other's values, think about the rights and needs of the other person).
- Write a short story about the connection between self-image and gang-related behaviors.
- Encourage students to discuss when they feel safe and unsafe.
- Have students create posters or infographics reflecting resistance skills to avoid gangs and then role play resistance scenarios.
- Blueprints for Healthy Youth Development site http://www.blueprintsprograms.com
- CDC Violence Prevention https://www.cdc.gov/policy/hst/hi5/violenceprevention/index.html
- Olweus Schoolwide Bullying Prevention Program http://olweus.sites.clemson.edu
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) https://www.pbis.org
- SAMHSA Registry of Evidence Based Programs http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/landing.aspx
- Teaching Tolerance at http://www.tolerance.org/school_climate_resources
- Advocates for Youth Anger Lesson http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/for-professionals/lesson-plans-professionals/1256?task=view
- Building Community and Combating Hate - Middle School Lesson http://www.partnersagainsthate.org/educators/middle_school_lesson_plans.pdf
- Conflict Resolution Roleplays https://youthrelationships.org/uploads/alt_unit_1_sample.pdf
- 10 Conflict Resolution Lessons, Fairfax County Schools http://creducation.net/resources/CR_Guidelines_and_10_CR_lessons_FCPS.pdf
- Coaching Boys into Men Toolkits http://www.coachescorner.org
- Discovery Online - Resolving Conflicts http://school.discoveryeducation.com/lessonplans/pdf/resolvingconflicts/resolvingconflicts.pdf
- Healthy Communication Skills Guide http://headsup.scholastic.com/sites/default/files/Healthy-Communication-Guide-CDC.pdf
- Hernando County Anger Management Lesson https://self-sufficiency.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/10_tips_to_tame_your_anger.pdf
- Kids Health Healthy Relationship Handout https://classroom.kidshealth.org/classroom/6to8/personal/growing/healthy_relationships_handout1.pdf
- In the Mix - Thinking it Through https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDoQIpe5TxA
- Making Safe Decisions https://www.etr.org/healthsmart/assets/File/sample-lessons/MS_ViolenceAndInjuryPreventionLesson.pdf
- National Crime Prevention Council: Youth Gangs - Know the Facts http://archive.ncpc.org/programs/celebrate-safe-communities/csc-tools/media/csc-electronic-media-kit/Gang%20fact%20sheet%20-%20youth2-pdf.pdf
- National Gang Center https://www.nationalgangcenter.gov,
- Olweus - Class Meetings That Matter - Grades 6-8 http://www.hazelden.org/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=15524&sitex=10020:22372:US
- Ophelia Project - It Has a Name: Relational Aggression http://www.opheliaproject.org/GirlsRA/GirlsMS.pdf
- Pacer National Bullying Prevention Center http://www.pacer.org/bullying/
- Pacer Student Action Plan http://www.pacerkidsagainstbullying.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/StudentActionPlan.pdf
- Pacer Teens Against Bullying http://www.pacerteensagainstbullying.org
- Respect Others Respect Yourself http://headsup.scholastic.com/teachers/respect-others-respect-yourself
- SDCDA Girls Only Toolkit http://www.sdcda.org/office/girlsonlytoolkit/
- Stop Bullying.gov Youth Engagement Kit https://www.stopbullying.gov/what-you-can-do/teens/index.html
- Stop Bullying Video Clips https://www.cartoonnetwork.com/stop-bullying
- Teaching Health and Happiness - Communication https://teachinghealthandhappiness.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/answer-key-communication-vocabnote-taking-sheet.pdf
- Teaching Tolerance - What’s a Clique https://www.tolerance.org/classroom-resources/tolerance-lessons/whats-a-clique Cliques in School https://www.tolerance.org/classroom-resources/tolerance-lessons/cliques-in-schools
- Virginia Rules http://www.virginiarules.com/virginia-rules/gangs
- Welcoming Schools - Bias, Bullying, Bystanders Users Guide and Lessons http://www.hrc.org/welcoming-schools/documents/Welcoming-Schools-_What_Can_We_Do-_Users_Guide_Plus_Lessons_and_Extras.pdf
Physical Education Standards and Resources
Students in grade six apply fundamental skills and knowledge of anatomical structures and movement principles to build movement competence and confidence through acquisition, performance, and refinement of skills. Cooperative and competitive small-group games are appropriate as well as outdoor pursuits, fitness activities, dance and rhythmic activities, aquatics, individual performance activities, and sports (net/wall, striking/fielding, and goal/target), with an emphasis on developing skills and tactical understanding. Students use feedback to initiate and maintain practice to improve skill performance. Students assess their health-related fitness status and set reasonable and appropriate goals for development, maintenance, and improvement. Students in grade six will explain the connection between energy balance and nutrition guidelines, meal planning, and heart rate. Social interaction becomes more complex as peer pressure becomes increasingly pronounced, impacting individual performance. Students solve problems and make responsible decisions as they work together. They identify and seek opportunities to participate in regular physical activity at school and outside the school environment.
Physical Education Resources for all of Grade Six
- Grade Six Physical Education Standards of Learning
- All Academic Language Cards for Grade 6
- Essential Strand Glossary - Grade 6
- Virginia Physical Education SOLs - EIP Goal Bank
- The Open 8 Middle School Challenge (Grades 6-8)
- Tools for Learning Rugby (Grades 6-8)
- Tabata Training (Grades 6-8)
- Tools for Learning Ultimate Disc (Grades 6-8)